[asiacouncil] Fw: Atlanta Asian Film Festival

David L Starling dstarlin at valdosta.edu
Mon Oct 2 08:03:46 EDT 2017

________________________________

From: Eric Kendrick <ekendrick at gsu.edu>
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2017 6:51 PM
To: David L Starling
Subject: Atlanta Asian Film Festival

Asia Council colleagues:

Perimeter College has been a sponsor of the Atlanta Asian Film Festival (AAFF) since its inception in 2005, and a venue at our Dunwoody Campus since 2006.  This is the largest Asian Film Festival in the Southeast, and unlike many counterparts across the U.S., which primarily focus on the more popular Japanese, Korean, Chinese (including Hong Kong and Taiwan) and Indian films, our event also regularly includes films from smaller markets in Southeast Asia.  To date, we have five films screening at Dunwoody this year, with two more at Georgia Gwinnett College.  We have one more Chinese film possibly in the works (cross your fingers), and we’re trying to get a Korean film, too.  (The recent switch to using DCP format over DVD and Blu-ray has negatively affected our screening options, as we don’t have DCP capability here.)

I’ll ask you to particularly note the two documentaries scheduled:

Robin Lung, the producer/director of “Finding Kukan” is flying in to introduce her film on campus.  This is indeed a privilege for Perimeter College.  Robin is a fourth generation Chinese American who was raised in Hawai’i. She has a 16-year history of bringing untold minority and women’s stories to film. A graduate of Stanford University and Hunter College in NYC, Lung made her directorial debut with “Washington Place: Hawai’i’s First Home,” a 30-minute documentary for PBS Hawai’i.   READ MORE HERE<http://sagharborexpress.com/robin-lung-restores-history-finding-kukan/>  about the incredible story featured in the documentary “Finding Kukan” that will be screened at Dunwoody.

The other documentary, “The Cinema Travellers,” chronicles the vanishing tradition of mobile “tent cinemas” that bring films once a year to faraway villages in India. Seven decades on, as their projectors crumble and film reels become scarce, their patrons are likewise lured away by slick digital technology.  However, a benevolent showman, a shrewd exhibitor and a maverick projector mechanic bear a beautiful burden - to keep the last traveling cinemas of the world running.

If you are in the Atlanta area, or plan to be in during any of the film screenings at Perimeter College, let me know and I’ll send you a complementary screening pass for you and one guest.  (I can only do this for Perimeter College, not Georgia Gwinnett College.)

Eric Kendrick

Associate Chair of ESL & World Languages

[PerimeterCollege_CMYK]