[IPCmte-L] Hilgert Puzzle Book

George Gaumond ggaumond at valdosta.edu
Wed Oct 10 16:14:41 EDT 2007

Discussion, not a vote.
I suspect that each of us is waiting for a first vote to get a sense of direction.

Anyway:
1. It is clear from Bob Bauer's email that the work was not a directed assignment.
2. The most useful information seems to be Barbara's summary of Larry's verbal comments.
3. But, there does not seem to be any substantiation of Barbara's question about the work being done during "off" hours and with personal computers.
4. Andy's statement about using University computers and negative comments about bureaucratic roadblocks did not help me understand.  I did not see how "waste" would occur by being careful of separating individual effort from university supported.

My assessment:
The work was not an assignment and personal, not university, supplies were used.
But, university computers were used, implying that the work was performed during normal working hours.  There is no statement about "weekends, evenings and summer months" as Barbara suggested.

Based on what I read, it looks like "university assisted" effort because they used "paid time within the employment period" and used VSU computers.

Alternatively, since the phrase "other than office" is used in the policy, one could define that to include a work computer, assuming that no resources were used except electricity (vs. telecommunication services that implies charges).  I think that mitigates the PC, but not the time.

Am I assessing too rigidly?

George