[I-O Psych] Fwd: Please share with current and recent master's degree students

Jeremy Bauer jabauer at valdosta.edu
Sun Nov 22 21:55:19 EST 2015

Interested in a Ph.D.?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sven Kepes <skepes at vcu.edu>
Date: Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 12:00 PM
Subject: Please share with current and recent master's degree students
To: jabauer at valdosta.edu

Dear Dr. Bauer,

I am writing to inform you that the doctoral program in management at
Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) in Richmond, Virginia is recruiting
students for the Fall 2016 (and Fall 2017) academic year. Our Ph.D. program
reflects two complimentary and overlapping content areas, organizational
behavior (OB) and human resource management (HRM), and has a strong
methodological orientation. In the past, our most successful applicants and
students were those who have obtained a master’s degree in
industrial/organizational psychology or social psychology, which is why we
are reaching out to you. If you have qualified psychology students, either
undergraduate or with a master’s degree, who are considering pursuing a
doctoral degree, I ask that you let them know about the opportunities in
our doctoral program. The outlook for hiring in business schools remains
strong, salaries and benefits for faculty are competitive, and the research
areas we pursue are a good fit for students with interest in
industrial/organizational or social psychology.

Course work for doctoral students covers a range of OB and HRM topics,
including attitudes and motivation, emotions, teams, leadership, staffing,
compensation, performance management, and strategic human resource
management. Doctoral students also receive extensive training in research
methods and statistics. Close faculty-student involvement on research
projects is a hallmark of our program. Faculty publications, often with
Ph.D. student involvement, have appeared in journals such as the Journal of
Applied Psychology, Personnel Psychology, Academy of Management Journal,
Organizational Research Methods, and PLoS One.

More information about our program, including application instructions, can
be found at
http://business.vcu.edu/graduate-studies/phd-in-business/concentrations/management-obhrm/.
I am also attaching a document describing our program in more detail.
Applications should be received by February 1st for full consideration;
however, we continue to review applicants received after the deadline on a
rolling basis until all slots for admission are filled.

Please distribute this e-mail to current and recent students. For questions
about the program, please contact Sven Kepes at skepes at vcu.edu or
804-828-7195.

Sincerely,

Sven Kepes, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Management

Department of Management Ph.D. Coordinator

Virginia Commonwealth University

School of Business