[asiacouncil] Fwd: Welcome to the ASDP 2020 National Conference in Atlanta

Eric Spears spears_eric at columbusstate.edu
Tue Mar 3 13:13:50 EST 2020

The Asian Studies Development Program (ASDP) Alumni Board and local hosts
The University System of Georgia Asia Council welcome you to Atlanta and
the 27th ASDP National Conference!

For over a year we have worked hard to bring you our conference and we are
so pleased that our event begins with a 10am-4pm cultural excursion to the
BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir Hindu Temple and the Buford Highway Asian
District.  Our Thursday night reception will have a performance by the Budo
Martial Arts group, and we will be joined at the conference by Friday
keynote speaker Brian Woodall, Professor of Political Science at Georgia
Institute of Technology; Saturday morning plenary speaker Ambassador Amanda
Ellis, President of the East-West Center Alumni Association (EWCA) and the
Executive Director of the Hawaii & Asia-Pacific and Director of Strategic
Partnerships for the Julie Ann Wrigley Global Institute of Sustainability
at Arizona State University; and Saturday keynote Jenny Wang Medina,
Assistant Professor of Korean Studies in the Department of Russian and East
Asian Languages and Cultures at Emory University.  With 26 sessions and
almost 90 presenters, we look forward to a truly collegial academic
experience.

On Saturday we will have an opportunity for authors to display their book
flyers or even sell their books, so if you have a book and would like to
share information on it, please take note!

And finally, please join us for our ASDP Alumni Chapter General meeting on
Friday March 6th from 5:30-6:00 p.m., where important announcements will be
made about upcoming elections, ASDP workshops, and the June 2020 EWC
International Conference to be held in Honolulu.

As you prepare for the conference, here’s some information that may be
helpful.
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/3300+Lenox+Road+NE+%0D%0A+Atlanta,+GA+30326?entry=gmail&source=g>

WEATHER:

Expect a mix of weather so bring that umbrella!  Wed Rain 56°-47°/ Thu Rain
52-41° /Fri Sunny 52°-32° /Sat Sunny 55°-33° /Sun Mostly Sunny 58°-38°

HOTEL AND DIRECTIONS:

J. W Marriott Atlanta Buckhead

3300 Lenox Road NE
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/3300+Lenox+Road+NE+%0D%0A+Atlanta,+GA+30326?entry=gmail&source=g>

Atlanta, GA 30326
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/3300+Lenox+Road+NE+%0D%0A+Atlanta,+GA+30326?entry=gmail&source=g>

Tel:   +1 404-262-3344

The hotel conference venue is easily accessible by MARTA public transport,
car, Uber, or taxi. Many thanks to Eric Kendrick for compiling the
directions as well as organizing the cultural exhibits and evening dining
opportunities.  If you are interested in dining out Friday, please see the
highlighted section below.

Safe travels and see you in Atlanta!

With all good wishes and much Aloha,

Dona Cady, President, ASDP Alumni Chapter Jessica A. Sheetz-Nguyen,
Past-President, ASDP Alumni Chapter Eric Spears, Treasurer, ASDP Alumni
Chapter; Chair, The University System of Georgia Asia Council Conference
Co-Chairs

FRIDAY EVENING ASIAN DINNER OUTINGS

SIGN-UP

The University System of Georgia Asia Council is organizing Friday evening
dinner outings at 6pm to the nearby Buford Highway Asian District,
nationally renowned for the hundreds of restaurants in the area.  This is
on a first-come, first-served basis determined by how many volunteer
drivers we have.  Those who sign up with be assigned to a car pool with
volunteer drivers from in-state or nearby states that have cars with them.
Each car pool will determine where to eat, with out of town attendees given
priority in making the decision.  We have narrowed down the hundreds of
restaurants to a smaller but very diverse list to make the decision a
little easier.  To sign up, email Eric Kendrick ekendrick at gsu.edu with the
Subject Line ASDP DINNER SIGN UP and include your name and mobile phone
number (and the names of anyone else in your group).

VOLUNTEER TO DRIVE

If you are driving to the conference and are willing to chauffer a group to
dinner, email Eric Kendrick *ekendrick at gsu.edu <ekendrick at gsu.edu>* with
the Subject Line ASDP DINNER DRIVER and include your name and indicate how
many people you can take in your vehicle. For example, if you vehicle holds
five, but someone else is coming to the conference with you and will be
going on the dinner outing, then you could take three additional people in
your vehicle. THREE is the number that we need to know.  Even if you are
not familiar with Buford Highway Asian District, it is VERY EASY to get to
from the hotel (Lenox Road to Buford Highway, then north a few miles), and
maps will be provided along with the short list of restaurants.

--
Eric Spears, PhD
https://ericspears.us