[asiacouncil] Paul Rodell's article on ISIS in the Philippines

David L Starling dstarlin at valdosta.edu
Sat Oct 28 08:40:34 EDT 2017

Good Morning Asianists:

Please take time to read the article attached or click the link below.  Paul Rodell's article is very relevant to our Asia Council workshop topic next spring.

In addition, I think this is a good way to let others know what we are doing in the Asia Council.  If you have recent articles or publications you would like to share, let me know.

Sincerely,

David Starling

Chair, Asia Council

(From Paul Rodell)

          I have attached my MS Word copy of a short piece I was asked to write for a newsletter put out by Oasis, an NGO in Italy founded by a Roman Catholic Cardinal to promote Muslim-Christian dialogue. They wanted a backgrounder to the ISIS conflict in Marawi City on Mindanao Island in the south of the country. The full on-line citation is:

Paul Rodell “How ISIS Has Arrived in the Philippines,” Oasis: Christians and Muslims in the Global World, 11 October 2017, www.oasiscenter.eu/articles/jihadism-and-<http://www.oasiscenter.eu/articles/jihadism-and->violence/2017/10/11/how-isis-has-arrived-in-the-philippines

          I decided to send my MS Word copy because the bibliography in the published version was chopped off and the European folks seem to have a strange way of writing acronyms where ISIS becomes Isis, etc. So, you can either read my version or the one on-line.

P.S. As a bit of a footnote, the city was finally retaken on the 23rd by which time an estimated 960 militants and 165 government soldiers had lost their lives and 400,000 people were made homeless.