[asiacouncil] India dance troupe performs Don Quixote

David L Starling dstarlin at valdosta.edu
Mon Sep 14 12:56:56 EDT 2015

 Please see the message from Salli below.  This looks well worth the ticket price!

Cheers,

David Starling

Here is the poster and some comments about the dance program that I mentioned at the Asia Council meeting.

The US tour of Don Quixote commenced with a performance in LA on August 29, 2015. The troupe is performing at the Ferst Center for the Arts in Atlanta on Sunday, October 11, 2015 at 3:30p.m.
Below are some video links from the production:

Video 1<https://vimeo.com/128993916>
Video 2<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7wNojb4tAo>
Video 3<https://vimeo.com/97187697>

Some reviews of the production:
"The choreography by Sheejith Krishna, who also directed the production, filled many of the scenes with sparkling energy... The dancers displayed impeccable footwork and grace... The music was rousing and operatic." -Review in The Hindu, April 9, 2015
"Books are the most important characters in this production. The books he reads make Don Quixote what he is," says Sheejith.
Akhila Ramnarayan agrees, "The beauty of this experience is to translate something I have always loved reading into the experience of dance," she says, adding, "I thought it would be a great adventure to unfold a satire through Bharatanatyam. Also, we wanted to do something that brought different cultures together," she says. -Review in The Hindu, March 22, 2015
The proceeds from this event will aid MV Foundation, a nonprofit organization that works to abolish child labor in all its forms and mainstream children into formal schools (http://mvfindia.in<http://mvfindia.in/>).

If you have a considerable amount of students coming, we can arrange for a section of seats with a better view of the stage. There are discounted tickets available for students. Should you want to buy tickets online the link is http://nrityasankalpa.ticketleap.com/dq/

Thank you

Salli Vargis, Ph.D.
Professor of History & Honors Coordinator
Georgia Perimeter College (Newton Campus)
239 Cedar Lane
Covington, GA 30014
(770) 278-1360
Salli.Vargis at gpc.edu