[I-O Psych] Fwd: Mentoring Program

Jeremy Bauer jabauer at valdosta.edu
Fri Oct 5 15:14:13 EDT 2018

FYI! More mentorship opportunities!
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: SIOP Enrica Ruggs <siopcema at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 2:48 PM
Subject: Mentoring Program
To: <jabauer at valdosta.edu>

Dear Department Chair,

The SIOP Committee for Ethnic Minority Affairs (CEMA) is launching the
2nd Cohort
of our mentoring program that aims to increase racial/ethnic minority
student engagement in SIOP and I-O psychology. Can you please pass along
the following information to graduate students?

Best,

Enrica Ruggs
CEMA Committee Chair

The SIOP Committee for Ethnic Minority Affairs (CEMA) is launching the
2nd Cohort
of our mentoring program that aims to increase racial/ethnic minority
student engagement in SIOP and I-O psychology. Through the development of
mentoring relationships, graduate students will be provided with the
information and advice needed to launch successful careers. In this
program, a SIOP-member mentor meets (via phone, video chat, or in-person)
regularly with a mentee(s) to discuss research, career-related topics,
graduate school-related topics, or other professional issues of interest
(e.g., academic vs. practitioner careers, building a consulting practice,
publishing in top journals). It is left up to mentors and mentees to
determine the specific topics they wish to cover in their meetings,
tailored to mentors’ specific experience/expertise and mentees’
interests/needs.

This mentoring program will provide some structure to ensure that the
mentor-mentee relationship flourishes, but will also provide the
flexibility for mentors and mentees to determine meeting frequency,
content, and mode of communication, as well as the best times and dates to
conduct mentoring sessions. Mentees will be responsible for following up
with their mentors to schedule regular mentoring sessions, and we ask that
mentors be responsive to their mentees' requests.

MA and PhD I-O psychology racial/ethnic minority students are eligible to
participate as *mentees*.

The program will run from October 2018 through June 2019. We are asking
both mentors and mentees to make a nine-month commitment to the program.

If you are a *mentee* interested in the program, please use the following
link to complete the survey by *October 10th, 2018.*

SIOP_CEMA_Mentee2018
<https://unccpsych.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eYgSwq9p2IHaORT>

<https://unccpsych.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eYgSwq9p2IHaORT>

For more information, contact CEMA’s Chair, Dr. Enrica Ruggs at
eruggs at uncc.edu or the CEMA Training Sub-Committee Chair, Dr. Afra Ahmad at
siopcema at gmail.com.

 -

Enrica N. Ruggs, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor of Psychology & Organizational Science
UNC Charlotte | Dept. of Psychological Science | Colvard 4046

9201 University City Blvd | Charlotte, NC 28223
Phone: (704) 687-1365

email: eruggs at uncc.edu