[Cpae] FW: Call for Papers

Ari Santas asantas at valdosta.edu
Mon Aug 15 10:40:27 EDT 2005

FYI

Ari Santas, Ph.D.
Department of Philosophy
Valdosta State University
Valdosta GA 31698
Office: (229) 333-5949
FAX:  (229) 259-5011
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Goodman [mailto:mfg1 at humboldt.edu]
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2005 1:28 PM
To: mfg1 at humboldt.edu
Subject: Call for Papers

Dear Colleague,

This is a call for papers for Essays in Philosophy, for both Vol. 7, No.
1 ("Liberalism, Feminism & Multiculturalism"), and Vol. 7, No. 2 ("The
Philosophy of History").  Please see the Editor's Notes below for more
information.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to
contact me.

Thanks for your interest.

Michael Goodman, General Editor
Essays in Philosophy
Department of Philosophy
Humboldt State University
Arcata, CA 95521

_____
*	Editor's Note for Vol. 7, No. 1:  Liberalism, Feminism &
Multiculturalism
*	Submission Deadline:  15 October 2005.
Since the publication of Rawls's A Theory of Justice in 1971, a number
of critiques of liberal theories of justice as advanced by Rawls and
others have been formulated. Recently, some of the most important
critiques have come from feminist and multicultural perspectives. Some
feminists have argued that liberal theories, because of their abstract
models of justice and individual rights, are unable to accommodate and
protect the rights necessary for women to achieve real equality with
men: reproductive rights for example, or rights for women of color.
Similarly, multicultural critiques accuse liberalism of being unable to
make room for collective rights, particularly rights for various
minority groups.
This issue of Essays in Philosophy welcomes papers on all topics from
feminist and multicultural critiques of philosophy as well as defenses
of liberalism against such critiques. Papers regarding the relationship
between liberal theories of justice and rights, and the alleged need for
specific women's and minorities' rights are especially welcome.

*	Editor's Note for Vol. 7, No. 2:  The Philosophy of History
*	Submission deadline:  15 January 2006
If we assume, with R. G. Collingwood, that historical investigation aims
at a kind of discovery, then we should wonder with him about the sort of
object our investigation is motivated to uncover. By Collingwood's
lights, historical study aims at res gestae or "actions of human beings
that have been done in the past."  He likens such a study to a science;
for it is in the space of scientific theorising that "discovery" is at
stake. Indeed, for Collingwood, science is not merely a sophisticated
and systematic arrangement of what we know. It is, rather, framed by
finding out what we do not know. We might say, without causing too much
of a stir, that, in light of Collingwood's attitude, history, like
science, is driven by the desire to discover the unknown. This,
dovetailed with the actions of those who lived and, more importantly,
thought long or not so long ago, presents those of us with interests in
such discovery with important, and some might say recalcitrant,
problems. What sort of description is an historical description? Is
there something distinctive about historical explanation? What
metaphysical presuppositions shape our historical understanding? What is
the relationship, if any, between historical sense and
self-understanding? In considering the challenges facing the historian,
Isaiah Berlin once remarked that "the lines between description,
explanation and analysis, selection and interpretation of facts or
events or their characteristics, are not clear, and cannot be made so
without doing violence to the language and concepts we normally use."
History is a distinctively human affair.

This issue of Essays in Philosophy is concerned with the philosophy of
history. Along with asking about the objects of historical
investigation, we are interested in revisiting questions about the
nature of historical study itself, and its relationship to philosophy.
Submissions are encouraged from a broadly construed understanding of
this topic.

All submissions should be sent to the General Editor via eMail:
mfg1 at humboldt.edu