[asiacouncil] Asia Council Faculty Development Workshop plans

Eric Kendrick ekendrick at gsu.edu
Mon Mar 21 09:26:13 EDT 2022

To:          Asia Council colleagues
CC:         Workshop Planning Team: Flor Culpa Bondal, Tsu-Ming Chiang, Baogang Guo, Sung Shin Kim

The workshop is coming up on Friday, April 1, and now that the program is set and most USG faculty are back from spring break, we are ready to start outreach.  The flyer and program are attached (in one merged document).   Please take a look at it ASAP, as I'm making an effort not to repeat info from the flyer and program in this email.

Go ahead and register for the workshop if you plan to attend, as the Zoom links for the sessions will be sent out next week to those who register.

Because we have six straight sessions at 9, 10, 11, 12, 1, 2 on a wide variety of topics and geographical areas, and each session has its own individual Zoom link, many participants will be dropping in for maybe just a few sessions, or perhaps even just one (though some Asian Studies enthusiasts and many of our Asia Council colleagues might attend most, if not all).  In order to encourage people who might be planning to attend just one session to consider attending at least one more, the sessions have been strategically ordered so that they are before and after a session that has something in common with it.  If you want to see the rationale behind the strategic ordering of sessions, it is included at bottom in red shading (with the session topics, not titles, as the titles are included in the program).

Please begin promoting the workshop.  Below in green shading are some strategies that will help, as long as some targeted outreach that I plan to do, and below that is a workshop logo that you can use when sending emails (you can adjust the size, just right click), along with the registration link (which is also found in the flyer as an imbedded link).

Let me know if you have any questions or recommendations.

Eric Kendrick

Workshop Marketing Strategies for Asia Council Members

  1.  Begin with your own institution:
     *   Ideally, an email that goes out to ALL faculty on a distribution list from either the office of the Provost of Chief International Officer.
     *   Next, individually target colleagues and departments that you have connections with.
     *   Then, target colleagues and departments that would be particularly interested in one or more of this six outstanding sessions on the program.

        *   For example, if you have a Women's Studies program at your school, draw their attention to Salli's session.

  1.  Next, move on to other institutions, colleagues at other institutions, and even independents scholars in Georgia that you have connections with.  Don't limit yourself to the USG, as some of you have contacts at private schools.
  2.  Then, target professional associations in Georgia that you are part of, as professional distribution lists are a great way to reach many people.

Below are outreach plans that Eric Kendrick will employ as Asia Council Chair in addition to the above.

1.      I will contact all USG institutions for which we do not have representation (see the attached Asia Council Participation excel doc).

2.      I will contact the Academic VPs for all Georgia's technical colleges.  (You might remember that I targeted tech colleges in the Atlanta are for our Japan, Religion, and Women's workshops in the past).

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D83D05.B86B4C00]
Registration Link: https://forms.office.com/r/jpMngmTFdW

Session Order Rationales (This is for Asia Council members only, not general destitution)

#1 South Korean Cinema 9:00-9:50 am

#2 Japanese Workers 10:00-10:50 am

The first one on film being humanities focused and the second one or labor issues being social science focused, the academic areas are not similar.  However, they both target East Asia, and many people who are interested in Korea are also interested in Japan, and vice versa.  Also, since both speakers are from North Georgia, and the Asian Studies program there focuses on East Asia, this is a good opportunity for the Director to rally the troops to get behind these first two sessions in particular (the troops being the faculty in her East Asian Studies Program, not literal troops, since it is a military school). Many Asia  Council colleagues will remember how great the participation from UNG was at the ASDP national conference in 2020 that our Asia Council hosted in Atlanta.

Additional consideration:  With six sessions, we have a jam-packed workshop, but it's always good to have a strategic session to begin and end the day.  Korean cinema is ideal for two reasons: 1) Everyone is interested in Korea now; 2) Film is a strategic area at Georgia colleges and universities with Georgia's burgeoning film industry, and film faculty who are not up to speed on the Korean film industry should be, as many of their students are watching Korean movies and TV dramas, especially in their introductory film courses.

#2 Japanese Workers 10:00-10:50 am

#3 Women's Issues in India 11:00-11:50 am

These two pair well because they focus on social issues - labor issues and women's issues - which will appeal to Sociologists, in particular, as well as Economists, since the India session on women also focuses on economic issues.

#3 Women's Issues in India 11:00-11:50 am

#4 STEM and Asia 12:00-12:50 pm

Both of these speakers are from South Asia and focus on South Asian content in their sessions, either exclusively or primarily, despite the academic content being very different. Furthermore, the time slot in the middle of the day enables science instructors who have labs on Friday morning time to finish in time to attend this session.

#4 STEM and Asia 12:00-12:50 pm

#5 South China Sea 1:00-1:50 pm

While it may not be obvious at first glance, both of these sessions deal with Pan-Asian content as well as China, as the STEM session includes topics on India, Sri Lanka and China, and the South China Sea session addresses China and Southeast Asia.

#5 South China Sea 1:00-1:50 pm

#6 U.S. - China Relations 2:00-2:50 pm

The connections here are obvious after reading the descriptions, as they both address China and their relationships with other nations.

Additional consideration:  Just as the Korean topic is a great one to lead with, the U.S.-China Relations topic is a great one to conclude with, especially given how important this relationship is on a global scale.  Also, the speaker is a distinguished scholar from the Carter Center that we can highlight in our promotions.