[asiacouncil] USG Goes Global 2020 & Protocols

Eric Spears spears_eric at columbusstate.edu
Wed Mar 27 14:22:24 EDT 2019

Dear Asian Council Colleagues,

I hope everyone had a wonderful spring break.

I met with Tammy Rosner and Coryn Shiflet on Friday, 15th March, to discuss
the roll-out of the USG Goes Global with the Asia Council for programs
operating in the summer of 2020.  Twenty-two of the USG campuses have
signed on to the USG Goes Global MOU through the provosts’ offices for 2019
and we expect all 26 to be on board for 2020.  Currently the only schools
not participating are UGA, Georgia Tech, Atlanta Metro and South Georgia
State College.

*USG Goes Global*

The purpose of the USG Goes Global
<https://www.usg.edu/international_education/usg_goes_global> program is to
make study abroad affordable for all of Georgia’s students in public
institutions.  Its design makes tuition and faculty pay equitable, too.

I’ll briefly summarize the model’s approach here but I encourage you to
read through the FAQs for USG institutions on the USG Goes Global website
<https://www.usg.edu/international_education/usg_goes_global/frequently_asked_questions>

   - The plan is to move Asia Council programs into the USG Goes Global
   ‘cost-share tuition model’ (think something like e-core tuition) at $199
   per credit hour for programs in the summer of 2020.
   - Faculty members will teach two courses  (one course must be a ‘core
   course’ for students at two-year institutions).
   - The teaching pay is $6,000 for the two courses, based on overall
   enrollment in the USG Goes Global Programs, not just the Asian program
   offering (but, emphasis on student recruitment and critical mass remain).
   This means that salaries are paid out of the overall enrollments for both
   Asian Council and European Council programs.  See the FAQs.
   <https://www.usg.edu/international_education/usg_goes_global/frequently_asked_questions>

   - USG Goes Global student recruitment will be focused on all programs,
   not just the ones we teach in Asia.  This means when we promote an Asian
   program, we promote all USG Goes Global programs at the same time.  The
   benefit is based on a collective enrollment that helps balance out the
   summer teaching salaries across the board.  The European programs will also
   be promoting our Asian programs. The USG Goes Global Program Manager
   will visit campus and study abroad fairs on your behalf (or with you if you
   prefer) to promote your programs system-wide.

*Protocol*

   - The USG Goes Global model requires that study abroad courses are
   approved by a subcommittee of faculty members.  These people have to be
   faculty and not professional or administrative staff, per SACSOC (Southern
   Association of Colleges and Schools).
      - I propose that USG Goes Global program proposals and their courses
      (with proposed faculty members) be sent to me at
      spears_eric at columbusstate.edu  <spears_eric at columbusstate.edu> so
      that I can organize them and share with the subcommittee.
      - I will share with the voting subcommittee members.
      - Recommendations will be based on a subcommittee vote and forwarded
      to the USG Goes Global office in Atlanta.

We will need to have a committee of at least five people (and an odd number
of folks to break a tie) for this to happen.  I'll send a separate email
message out for volunteers as well as an official call for 2020 programs.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to ask Tammy or me any questions.

I will also send out a doodle poll for those of you who want to participate
in a web-based conference call with Tammy, Coryn, and me to talk through
the USG Goes Global model.  This meeting will take place later in April.

Many thanks and very best regards,

Eric K. Spears, Ph.D.
Mildred Miller Fort Foundation Eminent Scholar & Chair of Global Engagement
Associate Professor of Geography

Columbus State University
4225 University Avenue
Columbus, GA 31907, USA