[asiacouncil] Fw: H-Asia daily digest: Fudan Visiting Scholar Program

David L Starling dstarlin at valdosta.edu
Thu Nov 15 08:19:34 EST 2018

This might be of interest to some of you.
Table of Contents

  1.  Fudan University Development Institute Visiting Scholar Program, upcoming deadline<https://outlook.office.com/owa/?realm=valdosta.edu&path=/mail/inbox#x_3119341>
  2.  Call for submissions: AAS 2019 Film Expo (March 21-24, Denver, CO)<https://outlook.office.com/owa/?realm=valdosta.edu&path=/mail/inbox#x_3122600>
  3.  Conference CFP: Chinese Christian Art and Literature<https://outlook.office.com/owa/?realm=valdosta.edu&path=/mail/inbox#x_3122820>
  4.  TOC, NANG: issue 5 (November 2018)<https://outlook.office.com/owa/?realm=valdosta.edu&path=/mail/inbox#x_3123270>
  5.  Jangseogak Collections Digital Image Service <https://outlook.office.com/owa/?realm=valdosta.edu&path=/mail/inbox#x_3122377>
  6.  Re: KFLC: The Languages, Literatures, and Cultures Conference, East Asian Studies<https://outlook.office.com/owa/?realm=valdosta.edu&path=/mail/inbox#x_3128962>

________________________________
Fudan University Development Institute Visiting Scholar Program, upcoming deadline<https://networks.h-net.org/user/login?destination=node/3119341>
by Thomas David DuBois

The Fudan University Development Institute (FDDI) is accepting applications for its visiting scholar program.

FDDI is a policy-based initiative that brings in scholars from all fields. The emphasis is on development, international relations and trade, but I have felt very welcome as a historian. Most fellows stay for between one and three months, and are expected as part of their time in Shanghai to present a talk on their research. Many of the invited fellows are from BRIC countries, and bring very unique perspectives on these issues.

One particular advantage of affiliation with the Institute has been access to scholars and experts in Fudan, and Shanghai more generally. My recent talk on China's dairy industry was chaired by the head of the Shanghai Dairy Science Institute, who gleefully diasabused me of some mistaken ideas, and has since been a very good source of ongoing information. Affiliation has also afforded many opportunities to conduct fieldwork from a base in Shanghai.

The webpage of the institute is http://fddi.en.fudan.edu.cn/, and information about the Visiting Scholar Program is at http://fddi.en.fudan.edu.cn/about/jiaruwomen/5169.html

The application process is ongoing, but review of the upcoming round of applications will start at the end of November.

As a current fellow who has gained much from my brief time here, I would be very happy to answer any questions from prospective applicants.

With all good wishes,

Thomas DuBois (thomasddubois at gmail.com<mailto:thomasddubois at gmail.com>)

  *   Read more or reply<https://networks.h-net.org/user/login?destination=node/3119341>

Back to top<https://outlook.office.com/owa/?realm=valdosta.edu&path=/mail/inbox#x_topdigest>
Call for submissions: AAS 2019 Film Expo (March 21-24, Denver, CO)<https://networks.h-net.org/user/login?destination=node/3122600>
by Maura Elizabeth Cunningham

The Association for Asian Studies seeks submissions to its 2019 Film Expo, to be held in conjunction with the AAS Annual Conference in Denver, Colorado, March 21-24, 2019. AAS Film Expo was established as a conference program in 2011 by the Asian Educational Media Service (AEMS), an outreach program of the Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Documentary and independent films on issues reflecting contemporary life in Asia are projected in a dedicated screening room with a schedule running from Thursday through Saturday. An “on demand” screening area allows additional viewing opportunities for attendees who miss scheduled screening times.

We welcome the submission of films related to Asia produced by scholars and independent filmmakers. Criteria utilized in the selection process include timeliness, broad appeal to the scholarly community, and examples of new field work. All films presented in the conference are promoted in a special AAS Film Expo booklet which includes contact information for distributors or filmmakers who self-distribute.

In addition to the Film Expo booklet distributed to conference attendees, film listings are included in the AAS Annual Conference Program Addendum and on the AEMS website<http://aems.illinois.edu/>. When possible, short post-screening Q&A’s are arranged with filmmakers or film representatives in attendance or via online video conferencing.

For more information, please download the AAS Film Expo Submission Form<http://www.asian-studies.org/Portals/55/Conference/Denver/Films/AAS%202019%20Call%20for%20Films.pdf?ver=2018-11-13-093825-290>.

Submission Deadline has been extended to Tuesday, November 27, 2018.

  *   Read more or reply<https://networks.h-net.org/user/login?destination=node/3122600>

Back to top<https://outlook.office.com/owa/?realm=valdosta.edu&path=/mail/inbox#x_topdigest>
Conference CFP: Chinese Christian Art and Literature<https://networks.h-net.org/user/login?destination=node/3122820>
by Chris White

Call for Papers

Chinese Christian Art and Literature

Dates: May 3-5, 2019 (arriving on the 2nd  and departing on the 6th)

Place: Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA

The Center on Religion and Chinese Society at Purdue University invites papers that examine the relationship between Christianity and art or literature in Chinese societies. We welcome scholarly research papers that analyze art or literary works by Christian artists or writers, art criticism or literary criticism from a Christian perspective, or biographical or empirical studies of Christian artists or writers. Both the term art and literature are broadly understood. Art includes all forms of the fine arts: painting, sculpture, architecture, and even performing arts. Literature includes all genres of creative writing: novels, poems, essays, nonfictions, and even playwrights.

We also invite Chinese Christian artists and writers to present personal reflection papers about their faith and creative work.  Personal reflection papers should reflect on personal conversion, Christian beliefs, and the impact of faith on their artwork or writing. In addition to the paper, the Chinese Christian artist/writer should also submit three to five samples (digital copies) of their works. Concurrent with this conference will be an art exhibit of works by Chinese Christian artists.

Based on submitted abstracts, we will select 20 participants to make presentations. Hotel expenses for the presenters will be covered and arranged by us. A limited number of travel funds is available to subsidize transportation costs for those who apply.

Deadline to submit abstracts: December 14, 2018. The abstract should be between 500 and 1,000 words. Please include a brief c.v., 3-5 samples (copies) of artworks or published writings (for artists), and a note about whether or not applying for a travel subsidy and if so, how much. We will notify the selected participants and travel funds by December 31, 2018.

Deadline to submit draft full paper: March 31, 2019. The paper should be no less than 5,000 words, with proper footnotes and referenced bibliography. We plan to publish a volume of the edited papers.

Please submit your abstract, c.v., note about travel subsidy, and full paper to Lily Szeto lszeto at purdue.edu<mailto:lszeto at purdue.edu>.

  *   Read more or reply<https://networks.h-net.org/user/login?destination=node/3122820>

Back to top<https://outlook.office.com/owa/?realm=valdosta.edu&path=/mail/inbox#x_topdigest>
TOC, NANG: issue 5 (November 2018)<https://networks.h-net.org/user/login?destination=node/3123270>
by Tessa Mathieson

Intellect is pleased to announce that issue 5 of NANG, a 10-issue magazine dedicated to cinema in Asia, is now available. For more information about the issue, click here >> https://www.nangmagazine.com/issues/5

TOC, NANG: issue 5 (November 2018)

SPECIAL FEATURES

Two original contributions by Tsui Hark

Conversations between: Yoshida Daihachi and Ishii Gakuryu, Nattawut Poonpiriya and John Woo, Bo Wang and Jia Zhangke

Reprinted articles / articles in translation:

“The Prometheus and his Film Practice Along the Way: Interview with Hou Hsiao-hsien on the Formation of his Personal Style and Other Subjects” by Chen Peiguang, Chen Jiuhui, Meng Shangyong, Zhuang Huimin (from Imagekeeper Monthly, aka Yingxiang [Taiwan] No. 1, November 20, 1989)

“Zhang Yimou” by Lawrence Chua (from BOMB magazine [US] No. 35, Spring 1991

“What Exists Between ‘Hana’ and ‘Bi’: on Kitano Takeshi’s Hana-Bi” by Abe Kazushige (from Ronza magazine [Japan] No. 32, December 1997)

Transcript of the Jorgensesn Guest Filmmaker Lecture delivered by Mira Nair at the Indiana University Cinema

  *   Read more or reply<https://networks.h-net.org/user/login?destination=node/3123270>

Back to top<https://outlook.office.com/owa/?realm=valdosta.edu&path=/mail/inbox#x_topdigest>
Jangseogak Collections Digital Image Service <https://networks.h-net.org/user/login?destination=node/3122377>
by Hayoung Kim

Dear all,

As the research institute and government library, the Jangseogak Archives holds pre-modern historical manuscripts, government documents, literati writings from Chosŏn (1392-1910) Korea (for further information: https://youtu.be/1u-jpWtRZjI). The digital images of the Jangseogak collections, along with the digitized texts, have now become accessible online for scholars all over the world. We hope that these sources will enhance the circulation of knowledge and support researchers of Korean Studies.

The image files of the Jangseogak sources are available at: http://jsgimage.aks.ac.kr<http://jsgimage.aks.ac.kr/>

1. Features of the Jangseogak Collections Digital Image Service

- Up-to-date color image files in higher resolution than the MF files
- Regular updates of the contents
- Accessible worldwide– no membership required.
- International standards (HTML5)
-  User-friendly service: the lists of the Jangseogak collections are provided at:  http://dh.aks.ac.kr/jsg/index.php/장서각_고서_원문자료_열람<http://dh.aks.ac.kr/jsg/index.php/%EC%9E%A5%EC%84%9C%EA%B0%81_%EA%B3%A0%EC%84%9C_%EC%9B%90%EB%AC%B8%EC%9E%90%EB%A3%8C_%EC%97%B4%EB%9E%8C>

* Please refer to  http://jsg.aks.ac.kr/data/dir/book.do for 韓國本 經部

2. English Translations of the Jangseogak Collections

- The Jangseogak Archives hosts an annual summer school for early-stage researchers. In the summer school, early-stage researchers are trained to translate selected documents and manuscripts from the Chosŏn dynasty. The translated works from summer schools are regularly revised and updated here: http://dh.aks.ac.kr/jsg/index.php/Primary_Sources_for_Korean_Studies

3. Forthcoming Services

- Image files will be downloadable from 2019 (For now only viewing is in service)
- The integrated service system of the Jangseogak primary sources is under construction. We will make an official announcement when this project is completed.

We hope that these resources will be widely known to scholars all over the world. We ask for your constructive criticisms as well as suggestions for translation and research.

For further inquiry, please do not hesitate to email us: jsg at aks.ac.kr<mailto:jsg at aks.ac.kr>

  *   Read more or reply<https://networks.h-net.org/user/login?destination=node/3122377>

Back to top<https://outlook.office.com/owa/?realm=valdosta.edu&path=/mail/inbox#x_topdigest>
Re: KFLC: The Languages, Literatures, and Cultures Conference, East Asian Studies<https://networks.h-net.org/user/login?destination=node/3128962>
by Masamichi Inoue

We are pleased to announce that the abstract submission deadline for the 2019 Kentucky Foreign Language Conference, i.e. "KFLC: The Languages, Literature, and Cultures Conference" has been extended. Abstract submission for the East Asian Studies sessions will remain open until November 26th, 2018 @ 11:59 PM, EST. For questions, please contact Masamichi (Marro) Inoue at .

  *   Read more or reply<https://networks.h-net.org/user/login?destination=node/3128962>

Back to top<https://outlook.office.com/owa/?realm=valdosta.edu&path=/mail/inbox#x_topdigest>

Message from a proud sponsor of H-Net:

David Starling