[asiacouncil] article related to Asia Council's teaching workshop and his recent publication

David L Starling dstarlin at valdosta.edu
Wed May 30 09:59:17 EDT 2018

________________________________
From: Paul Rodell <rodell at georgiasouthern.edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2018 2:11 PM

Summer greetings!

          Perhaps of special interest to the attendees of this year's teaching workshop "Islam in Asia," is an article about Myanmar that appeared in yesterday's (May 23) issue of The Asia Foundation's blog "In Asia. " The article is titled "Managing Change in Myanmar: Policy Making after Dictatorship," and the url for that article is https://asiafoundation.org/2018/05/23/managing-change-in-myanmar-policymaking-after-dictatorship/
          When reading the article, there is a link to a new Asia Foundation study "Managing Change: Executive Policy Making in Myanmar." This is available as a free download. The study is 51 pages and includes some appendices, many footnotes, and a bibliography. While "executive policy making" sounded pretty boring to me, once I looked through the study, I saw that they are really talking about the democratization process and the military with the Rohyinga of Rakhine State as a touchstone. While this is hardly anything I would assign to undergraduate students, it might prove useful to instructors in economics, political science, democracy studies, sociology etc. I downloaded a copy for myself and I attached that to this e-mail.

          In other news, after we had a brief flurry of activity about recent academic accomplishments of list-serve participants, we have been quiet. Let me try to re-spark the initiative by announcing a short publication of mine that came out about the time we were in the "Islam in Asia" workshop. It is:
     Paul A. Rodell, "A Syncretic Culture" in Mark R. Thompson and Eric Vincent Batalla, eds., Routledge Handbook of the Contemporary Philippines, Routledge Press, 2018, pp. 321-329.