[asiacouncil] Workshop suggestions from Paul Rodell

David L Starling dstarlin at valdosta.edu
Wed Sep 14 10:41:09 EDT 2016

Greetings Asia Council Listserv,

          I must start with a bit of an apology. Last April when the Council hosted a teaching workshop on Korea, I was not there. It seems on that same weekend the Middle East Council was hosting their annual student conference and I had a class of students who prepared poster session. Naturally, I had to be with my students. (By the way, the course was a history of “Islam in Southeast Asia” and the ME Council was kind enough to stretch its self-definition to encompass the greater Darul Islam, if only for this one student conference.

          Despite not attending the Korean workshop, I heard that it went very well so I am happy for the organizers and presenters and especially the faculty participants. I am also very glad that Salli Vargis revived this method of Asia Council outreach during her term as chair and that it is continuing under David’s leadership.

          David’s August 30 e-mail announced the next council meeting and raising suggestions for this year’s teaching Asia workshop which was very welcome. For my part, I would like to throw in my two cents before we gather on September 30.

          I am the original proposer for a thematic workshop, especially one focused on religion as a theme. To broaden the workshop’s appeal and applicability, I suggested that the workshop go beyond teaching people about specific religions per se. Instead, the presentations would encompass the cultural, social and political roles that Asia’s religions play in their various societies. At the time, Jonathan Leightner was also very interested in this specific workshop theme and the over-all approach that would encompass more than one single country or sub-region of Asia.

          In David’s August 30 letter he suggested that we might also consider other topics. He specifically suggested a workshop on “Chinese economic power and influence in the region.” While this topic would have China as a starting point, presentations on how other Asian countries and sub-regions stand in relation to today’s China could certainly be accommodated, and even encouraged.

          So, we now have these two proposals to consider and perhaps others of us will bring further ideas to the meeting.

          Recently, I spoke to Professor Leightner and I believe it is fair to say that both he and I would like to see a workshop on Asian Religions and Societies. BUT, we are also intrigued by David’s suggestion that is very topical and will grab attention because of its immediate classroom applicability. So, if the Council wants to mount a workshop on China’s economic rise and influence in Asia, both Jonathan and I would have no problem with that decision. We can do a workshop on religion later.

          In fact, we would even offer ourselves as two of such a workshop’s presenters. Currently, Professor Leightner is working on two major book manuscripts about China’s economic rise. He is also an excellent workshop presenter and his talk during the workshop on Southeast Asia I hosted, was one of the high points. As for myself, I have published about the disputes between China and the nations of Southeast Asia over contesting claims in the South China Sea. I was even in the Philippines this past summer when the international court’s decision came down with its strong verdict. I have a wealth of information about that verdict and the reaction to it from China and most of the rest of Asia – not just the Philippines. What I could present would make an excellent case study of contemporary intra-Asian relations that could easily be incorporated into a number of courses in history, political science and international relations as well as still other areas. What we would need for this workshop, though, would be someone to take the lead in organizing it from the academic standpoint which is something that Professor Leightner and I are hesitant to do.

           Let me apologize again, this time for sending you such a lengthy message. I have gone much longer than I anticipated. I do hope, though, that this letter will promote thought and discussion.

                        Sincerely,

                        Paul Rodell

David Starling
Director