[asiacouncil] Asian Studies Development Program conference + Asia Council faculty workshop

Eric Kendrick ekendrick at gsu.edu
Mon Nov 28 15:14:31 EST 2016

Asia Council members:

See the info below regarding the Asian Studies Development Program (ASDP) annual conference (CFPs and Pre-conference tour) and the Asia Council Spring 2016 faculty development workshop (focus, dates & location, planning team, recommending speakers)

Asian Studies Development Program (ASDP) national conference

1.       CFP extended to Thursday, December 1st

The CFPs for the ASDP annual conference (March 2-4, Portland, OR)  has been extended to Thursday, November 1st.  Conference info and proposal submission forms can been found at the link below.  At least six Asia Council colleagues are attending and presenting at the conference.

http://www.eastwestcenter.org/education/asian-studies-development-program/national-conference/2017-asdp-national-conference

2.       USG Asia Council ASDP Pre-conference Asian Studies Professional Development Tour - Wednesday, March 1st

As I mentioned at the September meeting, I am organizing a one-day pre-conference tour of Asian sites in Portland for Asia Council colleagues the day before the conference begins.  All the info is in the attached flyer.  Contact me if you have any questions.

Spring 2017 Asia Council faculty development workshop

1.       Focus on Japan

For those of you not at the September meeting, we decided to focus on Japan.  As the previous four workshop topics were China, India, Southeast Asia and South Korea, and as we are considering a theme-based approach for future workshops (e.g. Religion in Asia, etc.), targeting Japan will enable us to have covered all the major regions (East, South, and Southeast) and major countries (China, India, South Korea, and now Japan) of Asia.

2.       Dates & Location

The prospective dates are Friday & Saturday, April 7th & 8th (the weekend before Easter, when many people travel).  This corresponds to the same weekend as the South Korea workshop last year.

3 of the 4 workshops have been held at Perimeter College - Clarkston Campus, and one at Perimeter - Decatur.  This year we are looking at hosting the event at Perimeter College - Dunwoody Campus (very close to the Buford Hwy. corridor where many Asian businesses are located).

3.       Planning Team

If you are interested in serving on the Planning Team, please email me at ekendrick at gsu.edu<mailto:ekendrick at gsu.edu>   The two main areas will be 1)  selecting the speakers and 2) logistical issues (marketing, registration, food, etc.)

4.       Recommendations for Speakers

If you have recommendations for speakers, please send their names, contact info, and area(s) of specialty related to Japan (and additional relevant info you know about them) to ekendrick at gsu.edu<mailto:ekendrick at gsu.edu>  These will then be reviewed by the planning team.

Thank you,

Eric Kendrick
Associate Department Chair
Department of ESL & World Languages