[asiacouncil] FYI Study abroad in India

David L Starling dstarlin at valdosta.edu
Thu Dec 3 14:44:04 EST 2015

FYI - please contact Tom Grant  for information. (contact info below)

Subject: Trip to India, Dalai Lama meeting possible
To: SCIE-L at listserv.uga.edu<mailto:SCIE-L at listserv.uga.edu>

  I'm looking for another professor or program leader who would like to join a study abroad trip to rural India in May, with a strong possibility that we will be able to meet the Dalai Lama.

  Two years ago, we took a small group of college students from Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College to India. We met with other students from Wisconsin, and many of us met Dalai Lama at his home in Dharamshala.

  The group I work with, CLIC Abroad, believes it can get some students into another audience with the Dalai Lama (no guarantees, however) this May. It's an unusual opportunity because CLIC Abroad has helpful contacts in the region.

   I'm looking at bringing 2-6 students from ABAC a three-week study abroad trip. Because they will study under the Global Experience credits offered in our Rural Studies degree, I have been advised that the credits will not be transferrable to other colleges in Georgia.

   I'm inquiring of you to see if another professor might be interested in connecting with CLIC Abroad, the organizing group, to bring a few students from their college. They would have to arrange their own study abroad credits through their school, however.

   We estimate the cost at $3500 for the three weeks, including airfare but not tuition, for a May 8-29 trip. The trip will visit an area in the outer Himalayas (Himachal Pradesh) where some people still practice polyandry, women having multiple husbands.

   CLIC Abroad, with sponsorship from Nikon, puts on photo workshops in rural villages. This allows students close contact with local families, so they gain a greater understanding of rural people in India.

   The students will also visit many cultural and religious sites in Himachal Pradesh, including the Dalai Lama's temple.

   I'm extending this invitation because the Dalai Lama is 80 now, and there's some talk that he may be the last Dalai Lama, and meeting him is a truly inspiring moment for students. I'd like more people to have the opportunity we have had.

   If you are interested, or know someone who may be, message me.

   Thanks for your time.

Tom Grant, Ph.D.

Asst. Professor of Journalism

Advisor, The Stallion and Stallion TV

121 Carlton Center (First Floor Baldwin Library)

Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College

ABAC 32, 2802 Moore Hwy., Tifton, GA 31793

229-391-4957<tel:229-391-4957>

David Starling
Director
English Language Institute